It was an enchanting experience to share some of my views about ‘Candid wedding photography, (an artificially stimulated business trend in current wedding photography market) with professional wedding photographers of Tirupur District Video and Photographers Association. I had shown more than 250 artistic wedding images to explain about candid shots.
The event had lots of highlights as,
- How to see and visualize a candid shot?
- How to make the candid shots meaning full & story telling?
- How to use the professional studio flashes in the wedding events?
- How to use the professional portable camera mounted flashes?
- How to use the available lights and video lights as sources?
- How to mix the above lights in a wedding/event scenario?
- How to use Elinchrom Ranger flashes for outdoor couple portraits?
- How to use monopods in wedding shoots for lowlight photography/top angle/low angle photography?
- How to control depth of field effectively to tell stories through photos?
- How to use fast prime lenses like, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.2 and zoom lenses 16-35mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses for shooting candid shots?
- How to motivate the couple in a pre/post wedding shots?
- More than 90 fully charged photographers participated the event with core interest in my delivery
- The event was so lively and entertaining for me and the participants
At the end of the Workshop participants understood that,
- Candid photography is not just about shooting close-ups with a long lens
- There is no specific equipment for candid shots, for candid shots can be done with all lenses and cameras
- Candid photography by it self is not a ‘separate branch’ of wedding photography but a ‘style of working’, which is also practiced in all other branches of photography
a few pictures shot during the demo practical session…
The learning out comes of the workshop are,
- The participated photographers developed better confidence in shooting candid shots in weddings
- They came out of the myth that only certain camera models and lenses can give candid pictures
- They are convinced that there is no need for separate candid photographers in a wedding, because all the wedding shots need to be approached in the candid style.
- They also realized that they won’t be able to make a complete wedding photo book just with candid and couple shots alone.